Saturday, November 15, 2014

Voyage from Tijuana to Asuncion and Arrival in Paragauy

Greetings from Paraguay's capital city of Asuncion.  I will shortly be starting my bike trip, today all I did was ride around Asuncion a bit.  More on that shortly. 

Being the cheapskate that I am, I am always on the lookout for the cheapest airline tickets possible.  That led me on this trip, for the first time, to fly COPA Airlines out of Tijuana and not United or someone else, out of Los Angeles.  I took my bike to the airport Thursday night, and hopped on the midnight AeroMexico flight to Mexico City, where I arrived at 5AM (three hours later, taking into account time zones) Friday morning.  AeroMexico codeshares with Copa, and this proved cool, because COPA charges $100 to ship a bicycle, but AeroMexico only charges 789 Pesos, about $57US.  I happily paid the fee to AeroMexico.  Arriving in Mexico City, I sat around for four hours until 9AM, which was just long enough to get into a dispute with the less than helpful management in a restuarant where I ate breakfast over a very small corner of a 500 Peso note that was ripped off.  (Banco de Mexico runs adds on the radio saying that as long as a note is 51% there, it is valid.)  They wouldn't accept it, so I said fine, no tip for you.  Then I went and spent the 500 note buying a phone card, and the cashier at 7-11 did not even look at the corner.  What fun...

At 9AM, I got on a COPA flight to Panama City (COPA is based out of Panama, and no matter where you are flying on them, you WILL be visiting Panama City.)  arriving there another three hours later in a torrential rainstorm.  The approach to the airport was interesting, I had a window seat and looking out the window could see literally hundreds of freighters waiting in line to get into the Panama Canal.  My paternal great grandfather was an engineer who worked on the Canal, and my grandmother spent many years of her childhood living in what was then the Canal Zone.

From Panama, it was on to another COPA flight to Asuncion.  Takeoff in the pouring rain was fun, but uneventful.  This was a six hour flight, arriving at Asuncion about 11 20 PM local time.  Asuncion is two hours ahead of Eastern time and five hours ahead of Pacific time.  By a great miracle, both my bike and my saddlebags actually arrived with me (unlike two years ago), so a went got my passport stamped (after convincing the customs guy that my Visa really was for "multiple entries", and not single entry.) and then visited an ATM machine where I helped myself to a million and a half Guaranies, which is about $350 US at a rate of 4,700 to the dollar.  I immediately mentally kicked myself for not taking out a million 480, because I found myself in possession of fifteen 100,000 Guaranie notes, and worried about change.  Fortunately, the cabbie who took me to my hotel had change.  I got to my room and fell asleep until noon today.

Upon waking up, I wandered a couple blocks to a very useful tourism office where I aquired several useful maps, and found out to my great regret that the wood burning steam locomotive pulled trains no longer run the 20 mile Sunday tourist train from Asuncion to Aregua.  I had REALLY wanted to go on that train, and, in fact, that is why I scheduled myself to come in over the weekend.  Twas not to be, however. 

I then returned to the hotel, assembled my bike, and headed out to tour Asuncion.  I had not been able to do this in 2012, thanks to LAN airlines losing my bicycle for three days, so this was my first time biking the city.  I found several very pretty parks, and discovered that they close the coastal boulevard (Avenida Costanera) to motor traffic on weekends, leaving a nice 2 and a half mile long road for cyclists to ride on.  I did not take any pictures today, because I forgot to bring my camera, but I will tomorrow, and will upload them to the blog then.

Now it is off to find dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment