Monday, November 24, 2014

Ciudad del Este, Paraguay/Foz do Iguacu, Parana, Brazil, mile 263

Greetings from the city of Ciudad del Este, which used to be named Puerto Presidente Stroessner, until Stroessner rather abruptly ceased to be presidente in 1989, due to a miltary coup.  Stroessner had siezed power in a 1954 coup and, upon removal, was the longest serving dictator in the world.  In the long and sordid history of Latin American military strongmen in the 20th century, Stroessner was one of only two who actually had combat experience, in the Chaco war.  (The other one was Humberto Castelo Branco, who fought with Brazilian forces in the Italian campaign in 1944, and who removed Brazil's President in 1964.)

I am trying to write this on my tablet.  As smart phones become more ubiquitous,  they are driving cyber cafes out of business.  Next trip, I am going to bring a small laptop.  

On Friday,  I rode 23 miles from Caaguazu to Campo 9, getting in just before the skies opened and it poured down rain.  Nothing particularly exciting happened on Friday.   It rained all night, but stopped by morning.  It was cool and the wind was out of the south, ie not in my face.  I set off thinking I would ride 45 miles or so to Colonia Yguazu, but it was a good day for riding, I felt good, and when I got to 
Yguazu,  I decided to keep going.  A few miles on, Route 7 expanded to 4 lanes, and Route 9 cut off south towards Encarnacion.   I will be riding back the 20 miles to his point tomorrow and turning south. I rode on, entered CDE, as Ciudad del Este is known, and at exactly 70 miles on my odometer found a decent hotel for 150,000 Guaranies a night.  I paid for two nights.  I was filthy, covered in sweat and dead bugs, which I did not even notice, and staggered into the shower for half an hour.  Emerging, I went to a restuarant recommended by the hotel and ate a pizza, after fending off the waitress's pleas that "that's for four people!"I I ate all of it...  

CDE is a zoo, I like it.  Imagine Tijuana 30 years ago on steroids.  EVERYTHING is for sale, the place abounds in multi story shopping malls,  and hundreds, literally, of buses bringing Brazilian shoppers cross the bridge from Foz do Iguacu every day.  Paraguayan customs can be lax, shall we say, in their inspection of merchandise entering the country, for a small donation, and as a result CDE is one of he biggest black markets in the world.  Almost anything for sale in Brazil is cheaper here, and a lot of things NOT for sale in Brazil,  like guns, are for sale here also if you know where to look.  (Paraguay has very good gun laws, by theway,  and a homicide rate about one quarter that of Brazil where they are almost banned.)  Anyway, I like it here, and have a feeling I would fit right in if I got stuck here permanently.   I like living on he border as it is, and here there are not two, but three borders.

This morning I decided to go look for an open internet place in Brazil.   Half a mile from my hotel is the Puente Internacional de la Amistad, or Ponte Internacional da Amizade, (international friendship bridge) depending on whether you are speaking Spanish or Portuguese.  It is about 3000 feet wide, I rode across, waved to Brazilian immigration,  who ignored me, and found myself in Foz do Iguacu, the westernmost city in the State of Parana.  It was like crossing into the first world, every thing was very neat, cars stopped at red lights, the streets were clean, and it was utterly boring.  Had I ridden about 10 miles south, I would have come upon another bridge, across which is Puerto Yguazu, Argentina.  Not finding an internet place, I rode around for about an hour, bought a Coca-Cola in a gas station (paying with Guaranies and getting murdered on the exchange rate.), and finally rode back across the bridge,  being happily ignored by Paraguayan customs on the CDE side of the bridge.

I am about 20 miles from Iguazu Falls, one of the natural wonders of the world.  Why aren't I visiting?  Because I already have, twice, in 2003 and 2007.  To properly visit the falls takes two days, one day for the Brazilian side and one day for the Argentine side.  They'll still be there if I want to visit again in the future.

Slightly north of here is "Itaipu binacional", the largest (by far) hydroelectric complex in the world.  The Parana River was dammed at Itaipu, creating an artificial lake that stretches about 100 miles back.  Paraguay and Brazil each get half the electricity,  but Paraguay cannot come close to using it's half, so it sells about 90% back to Brazil.  Paraguay is presently up in arms because Brazil may have been fiddling the meters to the extent of billions of dollars over the years.  As I rode into CDE yesterday, on boh sides of the highway were endless lines of transmission towers, marching west like Martian fighting machines from "War of the Worlds."  Were it not Sunday (sigh) I would love to take a tour of the generating complex.

Tomorrow I will retrace my steps 20 miles to the west, nand then head south on route 9 to Santa Rita, probably.  Eventually I will make it to Encarnacion.

No comments:

Post a Comment